Lincoln began life as a Roman fortress town, after the conquering of Lincolnshire in 48 AD.
The derivation of the word Lincoln comes from the word ‘lindo’ meaning pool in the Celtic language and so the Romans called the new town Lindum Colonia. (After the Romans left the name Lindum was corrupted to Lindon then finally to Lincoln.)
The White Hart Hotel is located right in the centre of the old part of Lincoln in what is known as the Cathedral Quarter. Our building is situated between the 900 year old Norman Castle, built in 1068 by William the Conqueror, and Lincoln’s Medieval Cathedral, which dates back to 1072.